Thursday, December 26, 2013

Chalkboard Wall

Chalkboard seems to be all the rage right now, so I decided a few months ago to paint a small portion of our wall in the kitchen with chalkboard paint.  Our house isn't huge and I don't have a lot of extra wall space, so I squeezed it in where I could.  I really love it!  It just adds a touch of interest to an otherwise blank wall.  It was so easy to do too.  The hardest part was waiting three days for it cure...I'm not the most patient person.

The first thing I did was clean the wall really well with soap and water.  While that was completely drying I measured from the floor to the desired height of my chalkboard.  I drew three little dots...one on each corner and one in the center of the wall.  I then connected the dots with a very light pencil line....this was the top of the board.  I used painters tape and taped the perimeter of the board.  I didn't even prime the wall, I just started painting.  I used Rustoleum Chalkboard Paint.  It went on super easy...I was actually surprised.  I painted the first coat and once it dried completely continued with the second coat.  And that's it!  After it cures for a few days you're ready to draw.  A friend told me to prepare the board I should cover the entire surface with chalk.   After erasing it the board was ready to use.

I love this chalkboard!  For chalkboard ideas just go to Pinterest.  There are tons of photos to inspire your creative juices.

Don't forget to stop by Thirty Six Design!  thirtysixdesign.etsy.com









No comments: