Saturday, January 4, 2014

Inexpensive Kitchen Re-Do

A few years ago we wanted to give the kitchen a makeover as inexpensively as possible.  I had to get rid of the green!  Here's a photo of the before.


As you can see it was VERY green.  I'm sort of pinterest obsessed and when I looked at all of my kitchen pins I realized that I really liked white, open cabinets.  I really wanted to take all of the upper cabinets off the wall and replace them with open shelves, but we opted to just take off some of the doors instead.  


The lighter color made all of the difference.  It immediately made our small kitchen seem bigger and brighter.  You can see in this photo that our countertops were light in color.  We didn't have the budget to replace them, so instead we decided to use Rustoleum's Countertop Coating in black.


I have to say it was a pain in the neck to apply and smelled horrible, but the result was very pretty for very little money!  We did replace most of our appliances, though we couldn't find a wall oven small enough to fit into the original spot...so we still have the small 30 year old oven.  Good thing "retro" in in!












I have to say that I'm very pleased with the way everything turned out and we didn't have to spend $30,000 to do it.  This should hold me over for a few years until we sell!





No comments: